The Aus vs Ind 3rd Test ended in a draw with a stable fightback from India despite their captain’s absence. However, the third Vodafone test ending on Monday has left some remarks that now lay in the trending session of Twitter.
Steve Smith, who was accused of scrubbing Rishabh Pant’s guard mark, is all over the internet for his act, however, the team’s leader, Tim Paine has denied the act and says it was not on a purpose to cheat.
Posted below are a few of the tweets as 90% in #SteveSmith Twitter trends indulge a heavy criticism of him whereas the remaining 10% come in support of him.
The lines marked are deep down in a well established surface. This isn’t chalk on a synthetic wicket. He didn’t ‘erase’ anything. I can assure you of that, and that Pant will have had Zero issue with this— Trent Copeland (@copes9) January 11, 2021
Tried all tricks including Steve Smith trying to remove Pant's batting guard marks from the crease. Par kuch kaam na aaya. Khaaya peeya kuch nahi, glass toda barana.— Virender Sehwag (@virendersehwag) January 11, 2021
But I am so so proud of the effort of the Indian team today. Seena chonda ho gaya yaar. pic.twitter.com/IfttxRXHeM
Paine says it’s a Smithy style and he deliberately has been spotted doing multiple times in Test Cricket. The commander further added that if Indians would have any problem, they would have said it at the moment as pant himself seemed to have zero critics.
Aus vs Ind 3rd Test: Steve Smith wasn’t scuffing, says Tim Paine
“He (Steve Smith) was certainly not changing guard and imagine if he was, then the Indian players would have kicked up a bit of stink (at) that time,” he said.
“But that is something I have seen Steve doing many times in Test matches and Shield games that I have played with him when he is in the field, he likes to sort of walk up to where he bats and visualize how is he going to play,” Paine elaborated.
“…There is no way in the world, he was trying to change Rishabh Pant’s guard or anything like that. That is just one of Smithy’s things that he does, now that it has come up like it is, again it is something he might need to look at because of the perception of it,” stressed Paine.
“One of his mannerisms, as I said he does a lot, he was marking sand and he wasn’t by any stretch of imagination trying to change guard or do anything like that,” reiterated Paine.
Watch the video here:
💬 He is really disappointed with the way it has come across 💬— Sky Sports Cricket (@SkyCricket) January 12, 2021
Australia captain Tim Paine says Steve Smith was not trying to change Rishabh Pant's guard during the Sydney Test 🏏#AUSvIND 🇦🇺🇮🇳